Sedation Dentistry in New Albany, IN
As part of our commitment to providing our community with comfortable, stress-free dental visits, we offer sedation dentistry as an option to our patients. Taking care of your oral health is important, and we want to help remove any barriers you might face when it comes to getting dental treatment.
Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas)
Nitrous oxide is one of the most well-known and most commonly used types of sedation dentistry. Also called laughing gas, nitrous oxide is a sweet-smelling, colorless gas that you inhale through a comfortable nosepiece to help you feel more relaxed. One of our team members will monitor the flow of nitrous oxide to ensure your comfort. As soon as we’re finished providing your dental work, you’ll breathe regular oxygen and return to normal.
Oral Conscious Sedation
Oral conscious sedation is administered through a prescribed medication. You’ll take the pill before your actual appointment so that when the time comes for you to receive your dental treatment, you’ll feel extremely calm. Since the effects of oral conscious sedation can last for a few hours, you should arrange to have someone drive you after your appointment.
Reasons to Consider Sedation Dentistry
Unfortunately, dental anxiety and dental phobia are all too common—but those aren’t the only reasons why someone might benefit from sedation dentistry. If any of the following situations applies to you, then you might want to consider asking about sedation at your next appointment to learn how it could help you get the dental care you need.
- You can’t stop thinking about negative past experiences at the dentist.
- You have a sensitive gag reflex.
- You can’t stand the sounds of dental tools.
- You’re about to undergo multiple dental procedures or a complex dental procedure.
- You find it difficult to sit in the dental chair for the duration of your appointment.
- You have hypersensitive teeth and/or gums.
- You have a low pain threshold.
- You know that topical or local anesthesia doesn’t work well for you.
Sedation dentistry is an effective way to help patients conquer their fear of the dentist, make time feel like it’s passing more quickly, and cut down on trips to the dentist.